Tuesday 3 September 2013

How not to buy quite so many books (for bookaholics)


Recently I came to a monumental conclusion regarding the buying books. Perhaps I should refine that to say, I came to a monumental conclusion regarding my own personal buying of books. I have oodles of books on my shelf. They fall into the following categories:

  • those that I have read
  • those I haven't read
  • those I hope to read, and 
  • those I have totally forgotten about. 
Suffice to say, there would be a great number in the latter two categories!

I used to berate my husband for buying so many books. He stopped. Then we started buying books "for the children"! Somehow though, everything changed. The children grew up, we had more time on our hands so we started.... you know.... buying our own books!

If you're not a bookaholic, perhaps I should try and explain how it all happens.... You go into a book shop, and there are books everywhere on every kind of possible topic you could ever consider. The colours, covers, stories and topics pull you towards them. Your senses are totally overloaded with fabulous and endless possibilities of books. You tell yourself you won't buy anything.... but that really is just to keep yourself in the shop. You don't want to leave, you just want to read.... more than anything! There are so many books to choose from. Where to start? And then you're engrossed in one book, then another.... And of course you end up walking out with 3 or 4 books (or more!). You might read one straight away and then put the others away, to read later, when you have finished that pile of books you have you haven't read yet!

Does this sound familiar?

So, what is my monumental decision? For now, I have decided (for fiction books at least) I am going to stick to ebooks or borrow from my local library. If I think a book is worth passing on or having in my hard copy library I'll buy it. If not, well I'll have an ebook that I can either keep or delete and I will have saved myself some money and have plenty of space for books I really care about.

(The only problem is .... what to do about all the books on my shelves I haven't read?!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment